STOP! TAKE 3 TO SEE™ is a campaign designed to educate motorists about the correct way to observe STOP signs and to teach children how to safely cross the street. The steps are as follows:
How to Honor a Stop Sign and Unsignalled Railroad Crossings
STOP! TAKE 3 TO SEE™
- Come to a full and complete stop.
- Look left. Look right. Look left again to make sure all is clear before proceeding.
- Look for pedestrians/bicyclists and wave them through until they are safely across the street before proceeding.
NOTE: Bus drivers can also utilize STOP! TAKE 3 TO SEE™ to make sure the coast is totally clear after dropping students off.
How To Cross the Street
STOP! TAKE 3 TO SEE™
- Look for the nearest crosswalk if there is one.
- Stop at the curb. The then look left, look right, and then look left again to make sure all is clear before proceeding
- If a car is present, be sure to make eye contact with the driver and make sure the car stops to let you cross.
For more information about how to begin a STOP! TAKE 3 TO SEE™ campaign in your community, please call Tom Everson at (402) 334-1391 or e-mail Tom@kkad25.org.
FOCUS ON DATA - STOP! TAKE 3 TO SEE™
The National Safe Kids Campaign issued a study conducted in partnership with FedEx Express on observance of Stop Signs. In part, findings include:
- Of vehicles surveyed, more than a third (37 percent) of motorists rolled through stop signs at intersections and nearly a tenth (7 percent) of motorists did not even slow down before the stop sign.
- At intersections with marked crosswalks, one quarter (25 percent) of vehicles stopped in or past the crosswalks.
- When only child pedestrians were present, nearly a third (32 percent) of motorists violated the stop signs.
- At intersections where pedestrians were crossing, nearly a quarter (24 percent) of drivers did not come to a complete stop.
The report further states that, “Each year, stop sign violations are associated with approximately 200 fatal crashes and 17,000 non-fatal injury crashes. Children are at risk of injury when stop sign and pedestrian right-of-way laws are violated.”
STOP! TAKE 3 TO SEE™ promotes correct observance of stop signs – no matter where these appear. For more information about how to integrate this initiative in to your overall approach to traffic safety, please call or e-mail. We want to see these numbers come down as we all do what is in our power to create safer streets for the benefit of all.
We encourage you to browse our site for helpful information. Discover how easy it is to begin a KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® campaign in your own community! It’s easy, it’s informative and a great place to share ideas. Connect with local contacts in your state, click here to view all State Contacts.