KETV Omaha featured KKAD25's Run to Remember event in its broadcast on August 28th, 2017. Watch the video and read the story here.Read More
KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® presents Phone Down, Eyes Up, a public service announcement created in partnership with Ford's Driving Skills for Life and the Governors Highway Safety Association.Read More
Summer is on the doorstep and kids are out and about playing and riding bikes. Many of us enjoy a stroll around the neighborhood. It's a good time to remind ourselves of 3 things we can do to keep ourselves and others safe on and around neighborhood streets:
1. Stop! Take 3 To See® at every stop sign. Even is no one is present, it is great practice for when someone is present.
2. Keep Kids Alive Drive 25® - Observe the posted neighborhood speed limit, and go slower when children, cyclists, or pedestrians are present.
3. Hang up and drive. Help keep everyone alive. The death rate due to phone use behind the wheel goes up every year. Our brains are not wired to drive and talk or text on a phone at the same time. We get tunnel vision and are not aware of what is going on around us. Dare to care enough to toss the phone in the trunk if needed in order to focus on the most important task we have behind the wheel - driving.
We only become good at the things we practice. Let's all be aware and drive with care all summer long, and throughout the rest of the year as well. Need an audio-visual reminder? View "Practice the Better"
In honor of Nate, on what would be his 18th birthday, along with all who have passed away in traffic accidents, we invite you to support the mission of KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® at Granite City on November 5th!Read More
Summer vacation is upon us. Are we each practicing behaviors behind the wheel that keep ourselves and other safe?
Yearly last day of school Stop Sign Survey - 4 Way Stop @ 127th & Westwood Lane (Cody Elementary School), Omaha, NE
1. # of motorists observed = 203 in a 30 minutes period at pick-up for the last day of school
2. # that stopped without Safety Patrol Present = 13
3. # that stopped with Safety Patrol Present = 33 (many of these due to 2 or more vehicles approaching intersection at same time or when kids crossed in the crosswalk)
4. 22.7 % = overall # of motorists who stopped
5. 77.3% = overall # of motorists who did not "Stop! Take 3 To See"
200 pedestrian deaths & 17,000 injuries are linked to stop-sign running each year. Be a life-preserver and Stop! Take 3 To See
1. Come to a complete stop (wheels not moving)
2. Look left, look right, look left again. Make sure the intersection is completely clear.
3. Proceed and continue to practice behaviors that keep yourself and other safe on and around all roadways.
The only way to become good at stopping at stop signs is to practice the behavior, even when no one is present. We become what we practice. We understand this in sports, music, drama, dance, etc. Let's apply these same lessons to driving.
You are invited to make your $10 pledge to support the mission of Keep Kids Alive Drive 25. May 1st - May 20th marks a special period of giving through the Omaha Community Foundation. The Charity with the most numbers of donors by 8 a.m. May 20th will receive a $3000 bonus in support of their mission. In addition, donors have pledged $1000 to match the first 100 donation made by supporters from throughout the U.S. - and even the World! Make your pledge today at KKAD25 Giving!
On May 20th, a team of runners will spread awareness of the KKAD25 mission by running a 30+ mile relay throughout the Omaha Area. Panera is partnering with us as area locations will serve as our relay points throughout the day. Runners will wear "Live Forward! & Run to Remember" shirts bearing the names of loved ones from across the U.S. who have died in traffic incidents. We are privileged to honor their love as it continues to inspire all touched by the gifts of their lives.
Honor your loved ones through your gift today. Your generous giving keeps kids living! Thank you.